Return to Full Day Instruction & Current Bell/Cohort Schedules
Live Link to Cohort and Bell Schedule:
Return-to-Full Day Instruction: May 3, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As Dr. Burton announced at the March 8, Board of Education Meeting, we are currently planning for a return to a full-day session on May 3, 2021. The Middle School Administration has been working on developing a plan to return to Full-Day Instruction. Implementing this change on May 3, 2021, offers many benefits and opportunities such as:
- Returning students to a full day of school experience now will aid students in the transition back to a more traditional school experience hopefully in the fall.
- Allows for a preview of what September 2021 might look like and provides us an opportunity to make the necessary adjustments to be successful in the fall as we look to a more traditional school year.
Our decision to return to full-day of instruction is another step in the right direction as we look to return students, faculty, and staff closer to a safe return to a more normalized and traditional work and school environment.
Below are some highlights for what the Middle School Full-Day will look like:
- We will run all periods 1-9 in sequence with a break for lunch in the middle of the school day. We will no longer run Blue and White Days.
- The schedule will afford 43 minute periods with a 35-minute lunch break. There will be 4 periods before lunch and 4 periods after lunch. Below is the tentative bell schedule for our Return to Full Day instruction.
- In classrooms where we need to seat students closer than 3 feet apart, students will be required to wear a personal face shield in addition to their face masks. The district will provide students with 1 face shield each, which they will be responsible for bringing to school each day. Families are welcome to purchase their own face shield provided that at a minimum, they meet the requirements of the school-issued shield.
- We will transition to a Cohort Model where we will alternate by day A/B. We will no longer follow an AA/BB sequence for cohorts.
- Due to the construction taking place at the Middle School in the Cafeteria, we are arranging for 3 large outdoor tents to be installed on the backfield. We will hold a unit (single seating) lunch outdoors each day, with grades 6-8 eating simultaneously. There will be no option for indoor lunch for students.
- We will not be serving lunch, all students will be required to bring a “brown bag” lunch.
- There will be no tables set up for lunch, just a chair to maintain social distancing. We have enough folding chairs for each child to sit down during lunch. Thus we ask that lunches remain simple and can easily be eaten.
- There will be NO food deliveries to the Middle School. We are not permitting students to receive deliveries, of any kind, to the Middle School for lunch. We are still limiting visitors to the school.
- We understand that there may be an occasion where a student forgets his/her lunch - in those instances, a parent/guardian can drop off a lunch, we ask that this be only in an emergency and that we do our best to limit the need to drop off items at the school.
- Any item dropped off will be the responsibility of the student to pick-up from the main office.
This is a rough outline of what our day at MMS will look like. There will be more information forthcoming in the days and weeks ahead. If you are currently in the Fully Remote Instruction Cohort, Cohort- D and would wish to join the Hybrid Full-Day/In-Person Learning Model, please complete this Return to Full-Day/In-Person Learning MMS Survey no later than Monday, April 5, 2021. If a student is already in the Hybrid Model, there is no need to complete the survey. If a parent/guardian wishes to opt-out of the Hybrid Model, we ask that you send an email directly to Mrs. Mae Ward expressing your desire to have your child switch from Hybrid to Remote Instruction. Mrs. Ward’s email is email@example.com .
As more information becomes available and plans are finalized, we will share that information with the MMS School Community.
Millburn Middle School